Skip to content

287 WARNER ROAD - NOTICE OF INTENTION TO DESIGNATE


IN THE MATTER OF THE ONTARIO HERITAGE ACT, R.S.O. 1990, CHAPTER 0.18 AND IN THE MATTER OF THE LANDS AT THE FOLLOWING LOCATION IN THE PROVINCE OF ONTARIO

TAKE NOTICE that the Council of the Corporation of the Town of Niagara-on-the-Lake intends to designate the property at 287 WARNER ROAD, WARNER HOUSE (PART LOT 139) as a property of cultural heritage value or interest under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act, R.S.O. 1990, Chapter 0.18.

Description of Property
The subject property is located on 287 Warner Road and is called the Warner House. 287 Warner Road is located approximately 2 km west of St. Davids urban area, which is accessed from the subject property through Warner Road. The subject property also lies in proximity to wooded lands towards the south, agricultural lands and vacant lots towards the north, and few residential properties towards the east and west and the Warner Methodist Burying Grounds towards the west.

Statement of Cultural Heritage Value or Interest
The property has cultural heritage value or interest for its design and physical values, its historical and associative values and its contextual values. The Warner House is a representative example of the Regency style that was a result of the settlement of the retired military men in Canada from Britain’s colonies. The single storey residential building features a rectangular plan with a wing addition on the south elevation, a symmetrical five bay facade and symmetrical side elevations. The residence is constructed of Grimsby red and contains details of Queenston limestone. Other elements representative of the Regency Style includes, the high-pitched hip roof, overhanging eaves with moulded frieze details, large rectangular window openings with sandstone quoins, and stone chimneys. The residence also features a Classical Revival doorway that features, a paneled wooden door, a semi-elliptical arched opening with fan transom and decorative classical cornice, an entablature on the top, and fluted doric columns on either side of the door. 287 Warner Street displays a high degree of craftsmanship as seen in the doorway and stone details of the house. The doorway features a semi-elliptical arched opening with decorative classical cornice and an entablature on the top. The wooden columns on either side of the paneled door are also fluted. The intricate details display a high degree of craftsmanship.

Warner House has historical value as having direct association with Christian Warner and Methodism in Canada. Warner converted to Methodism in 1790 and during 1795 he was chosen as the first Circuit Steward. It was during this time that the first Methodist meeting house, west of Bay of Quinte, was constructed on Lot 139 in 1801. Warner preached, encouraged Methodist doctrines and left a powerful legacy in the Niagara area. He has a road, cemetery and a house named after him. He is buried at the Warner Methodist Burying Ground along with various Loyalist settlers. 287 Warner Road is also associated to being the residence of the Warner and McKinley family. Both the families played an important role in the propagation of Methodism in Canada and the Niagara Region.

Warner House has the potential to yield information that contributes to the understanding of Methodism in Canada and the Loyalist settlers in the region. Research into the location of the subject property has yielded information about the religious activities conducted on Lot 139 that might

contribute to a better understanding of the Methodist community. The property parcel and the rest of Lot 139 seems to have a high potential of buried archaeological resources that might provide insights into the rise of Methodism era.

The construction of Warner House is connected with Matthew and Peter Warner. The brothers were stone masons who built the house with their own hands. They were the sons of Christian Warner who was the pioneer of Methodism in Canada. Although the designer of the house is unknown, the brothers, as builders of the residence, are significant to the community in the region.

Warner House is located in the rural area near St. Davids urban area. It lies at the border of the Town and the City of Niagara Falls. It is important in defining the character of the area. The subject property is designed in the Regency style which utilizes the rural setting and the picturesque location of the subject property. The house sits on top of a slight slope overlooking the landscaped lawns and the wooden areas surrounding it. Warner House is also historically linked to its surrounding. The subject property lies along Warner Road that was named after Christian Warner who was essential for the spread of Methodism in Canada. The subject property lies in close proximity to the Part IV designated Warner Methodist Burying Ground and was also the site of the Warner Meeting House. The house is physically linked to its surroundings through its construction materials. The stones used for the construction of the house were sourced locally. The Medina sandstone may have been sourced from Grimsby while the limestone used in the details seems to be Queenston limestone.

Description of Key Heritage Attributes
Key exterior attributes that embody the heritage value of the estate at 287 Warner Road include its:

  • Single storey Regency style residence
  • Symmetrical five bay façade
  • Symmetrical side elevations
  • Use of Medina sandstone
  • Queenston limestone quoins on elevation corners and window surrounds
  • Rectangular window openings and stone lintels
  • Half elliptical lintel with a keystone on the main entryway
  • High pitched hip roof
  • Overhanging eaves with moulded frieze
  • Stone chimneys and stone foundation
  • Main entryway on north elevation with semi-elliptical arched opening, decorative cornice, entablature, and fluted wooden doric columns.
  • Location along Warner Road
  • Historical connection to Warner Methodist Burying Ground
  • Substantial setback from the Road
  • Location on a slope with surrounding landscape

Objections
Any objection to this designation must be filled no later than 30 days after the date of publication of the Notice of Intent to Designate. Objections should be directed to the Town Clerk, 1593 Four Mile Creek Road, Niagara-on-the-Lake, L0S 1T0. The last date to file a notice of objection is June 9th 2024.

Queries
Any further queries should be directed to Sumra Zia, Heritage Planner at (905) 468-3266 ext. 327 or through email at [email protected].


Dated at the Town of Niagara-on-the-Lake this 9th day of May 2024
GRANT BIVOL, CLERK