Based in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, Algoma has a proud history as a leading manufacturer of hot and cold rolled steel sheet and plate products. We are Canada’s only discrete plate producer and one of the lowest-cost producers of hot-rolled sheet steel in North America owing in part to our state-of-the-art Direct Strip Production Complex. Our steel is used in construction, mining, manufacturing, automotive, shipbuilding, and energy sectors including renewable energy and military applications. Today’s steel industry is rapidly evolving and so are we, transitioning to electric arc steelmaking technology that will position Algoma as one of North America’s leading producers of green steel, bringing low-carbon steel products to market, shrinking our environmental footprint, and securing a more sustainable future.
We invite those with a talent and drive for superior performance, who desire to be part of a team of steel industry professionals to apply. Join us as we build on our rich, century-long tradition of delivering quality steel products to our customers, improving the quality of life for our community, and providing rich and rewarding careers for our employees.
- Responsible for the health and safety of employees within their group, including accountability for administering the Joint Health and Safety manual, Annual Safety Review with each employee ensuring employees are training and compliant with safety practices, holding safety meetings, conducting investigations of first treatments, near misses and lost time accidents, updating the safety record keeping system and addressing employee safety concerns thru code14/15’s. Monitor department safety, environment, cost, quality and production operating variables and adjust as required to allow for stable and consistent operations. Promote and provide a safe work place and support implementation of the Corporate and Health and Safety program.
- Supervise on-shift processes and operating areas. Analyze operating data to identify trend and recommend appropriate corrective action. Monitor equipment on shift, address and take corrective action as required. Monitor on shift environment/safety procedures and document through Corporate Audit System. Investigate qualify deviations on shift and take corrective action as required. Coordinator maintenance activities as required throughout the shift. Monitor maintenance work completed during shift (PMs Etc.) ensuring a full understanding and execution of the corporate maintenance plan with SAP capabilities for Work Notifications. Identify and communicate area maintenance priorities to Maintenance FLS at daily Maintenance/Operations meeting.
- Develop direct reports, providing performance feedback and appraisals. Instruct, monitor, correct employee performance as required, and communicate to all employees regularly to educate expectations and performance. Identify and support employee development and training activities. Manage employee attendance and absenteeism and address issues as required. Maintain direct report’s timekeeping, job transfers, hours etc. to ensure proper payment through the Kronos system. Identify and address labor relations issues, especially as it relates to work performance, work conduct, attendance and punctuality. Document and verbally communicate labor relations issues to Superintendent in a timely manner. Chair formal fact finding meetings, manage disputes and or grievances and assist in developing and implementing resolutions.
- Support operating Superintendent, peers and area Engineers to conduct or evaluate trials of new practices procedures or processes. Support the achievement of operating objectives and targets, ensuring effective communication to operating and maintenance personnel. Properly report operational delay and provide input to Root Cause Analysis. Seek, identify and recommend process improvements related to people, processes and/or equipment. Inform leadership and colleagues of significant disconnect that will impact the achievement of environmental, quality or productivity objectives. Support peers and cross-functional teams to ensure decision-making optimizes resources and supports process continuity. Expectation to be reasonably available on off hours to respond to calls.
- Minimum 3 year Diploma or Degree in a technical discipline (Mechanical, Electrical, Chemical or Metallurgical) and 2 years of supervisory experience OR a Grade 12 and 5 Years of supervisory experience.
- Be able to demonstrate understanding of material process flows, production logistics, maintenance processes and automated control systems.
- Demonstrated leadership and people skills, excellent problem solving skills.
- Excellent organization skills, communication skills and experience working in teams as well as with minimal supervision
- Knowledge and commitment to Algoma’s Joint Health and Safety System would be an asset.
- Knowledge of computer systems, including PC applications (Word, Outlook, Excel and SAP) would be an asset
- Understanding of the QA, ISO, and QS programs would be an asset
Algoma offers a competitive salary, an extended health benefits package, a defined contribution pension plan and profit sharing.
If you meet the qualifications for this position and are committed to a challenging career with a dynamic company, in a community that offers superior quality of life, we encourage you to apply today.
To learn more about our company, please visit www.algoma.com
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage diversity in our workplace. Accommodation is available for applicants with a disability.
We thank all applicants for their interest however, only those candidates that are selected for an interview will be contacted.